atherleisure: (reader)
Eight yards of 60" wide rose-colored wool twill has carried me a long way.

First I made stays:
1780 Stays - Front

Then I made a pelisse:
1800's Pelisse - Back with Hood up

Now I've made a skirt:
1900s Sports Clothes - Front

1900s Sports Clothes - Side (2)

1900s Rose Wool Skirt - Back

I still have a piece left that is full width for about 7/8 of a yard and half-width for about another yard so I can probably get a jacket to match the skirt out of it if I have conservative sleeves.

I used the same 1897 Harper's Bazar pattern [livejournal.com profile] mala_14 used for her recent 1895 ensemble, and, like her, I thought it also would work for the years just after the turn of the century. I had had every intention of interlining the hem with crinoline, but in checking, I found that it didn't seem likely that they were still doing that by c. 1905 so I skipped it. The hem is faced rather than turned up because I was planning to interline it with crinoline. Somehow my cutting got a bit wonky around the side so I wound up with only about an inch to turn up and had to hem it for flat shoes rather than the boots I intended to hem it for. (Note to self: check how much I length I actually need for my white wool 1897 dress so that I can be assured of having enough length to accommodate my boot heels.)

There are tennis fashion plates of c. 1905 that show women with skirts that drag the ground in back. It sounds ridiculously impractical to me, but fashion plates aren't about practicality, and it may well be that women wore their skirts shorter in real life. I found an article that talked about women's golf wear that said that they didn't cut their skirts shorter until more like the early 1910's. I presume that was compared to the length of an ordinary walking skirt, but I don't know that. Anyway, the point is that I probably should have cut the skirt shorter, but it was so pretty as it was that I couldn't bear to. As I said, I'll probably make a jacket to go with it anyway, which would make it useful outside the sports arena.

Incidentally, the only way I've found to keep the belt of the sweater down to a point like the pattern picture shows is to pin it in place. Otherwise, it just rides up to be an ordinary round waist.

In the pictures I'm wearing a chemise, ribbon corset, princess petticoat, waist petticoat trimmed with hand-knit lace, and a tucked waist petticoat. The sweater was knit from a pattern published in 1907 (Ravelry page).
atherleisure: (Default)
I’ve never been quite thrilled with my Simplicity 18th century stays and have wanted a new pair for some time now. Since I want a 1780’s dress for the George Washington Ball in Williamsburg in March, 1780’s stays seemed appropriate.

1780 Stays - Front

1780 Stays - Side

1780 Stays - Back

And here's what I did... )

Bound!

Jan. 15th, 2014 05:25 am
atherleisure: (Default)
My stays are bound! I've just got to finish sewing in the lining, and I should be able to get pictures.
atherleisure: (Default)
It's definitely looking like a sweater: 1907 Sweater - Blocking

I've finished knitting the body of the 1907 sweater and am currently blocking it.

Now I'm trading back and forth between working on binding my stays - awfully hard on the fingers - and knitting the sleeves.
atherleisure: (Default)
My stays are moving along well. All that's left is covering the seams with tape, binding, sewing in the lining, and putting the eyelets in for the straps. That being said, I don't think I'll get much further on them before Christmas. I might manage to cover some of the seams, but that's about it. Partly because I don't have the binding yet, and partly because it will be better to work on my knitting project with people in and out over the holidays.

So I'll be working on my 1907 sweater for the next several days. I'm about 5" into the back. Still, it's going pretty quickly - maybe an inch per hour - so it's not bad.
atherleisure: (Default)
Being sick is lousy, but there is a silver lining. Hand-sewing projects can make a lot of progress. I've now got my 1780's stays in two pieces - main body and lining - plus boning and binding. Now it's time to give my hands a bit of a break and read or knit. Reading first, then knitting, I think.

Stays Progress 12-16
atherleisure: (Default)
I'm making progress on my 1780's stays. I've got various pieces in various states - five pieces have the wool outer layer sewn to the cotton twill interlining, four of those pieces have boning channels sewn. I'm mostly sewing these by hand, but the boning channels are machine-sewn. With a fair bit of luck, they might be finished by the end of the month. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

Stays Progress 12-10

What Luck

Nov. 27th, 2013 05:33 am
atherleisure: (Default)
If I measured right, the bust on the c. 1780 stays in Corsets and Crinolines is 31", and the waist is 25", not counting spring. That's only a tiny bit bigger than I need. I expected to spend the evening yesterday working on the pattern, but instead I cut out a mock-up. What luck!

Maybe I'll get it sewn together tonight.

Profile

atherleisure: (Default)
atherleisure

July 2017

S M T W T F S
       1
2345678
91011 12131415
161718192021 22
23242526272829
3031     

Syndicate

RSS Atom

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Jul. 22nd, 2017 04:52 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios